Monday, August 2, 2010

And so starts The Things They Carried

I am now starting my blogs about the Tim O'Brien novel, The Things They Carried. Going into this one, I was pretty optimistic about my liking it. My APUSH teacher had actually suggested that I read it this past year. Knowing that I don't like reading, she thought this would fit into my interests. I didn't read it then, but was excited when I found out that this was on the list of books to read this summer. I also knew that it couldn't possibly be any worse than the last novel I read. All of that considered, I was still a little shaky going, because I haven't had the best of luck when it comes to school-required books.
The first chapter mainly discussed the things they literally carried and why they carried them. "The things they carried were largely determined by necessity," (Page 2), but they also carried things that just made them feel more comfortable. This chapter seems just to be setting up the rest of the novel. It is rather amazing how heavy the stuff they carried really was.
There doesn't seem to be a plot here, but the book also seems like it doesn't really need one. We'll see whether it ends up having one or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment