Friday, August 6, 2010

Song Tra Brong.

Well before I start talking about its relevance, I would just like to say aaaaahahahahahahahaha. I could say that name for days and it would not get any less funny. So anywho, this is a name of the river that a lot of the action in the novel takes place near. It plays a major role above that, though. It seems that the Song Tra Brong is used by O'Brien to explain the course and happenings of the war. It overflowed at the most inopportune times, causing much damage, and it took the lives of many, many people.
"Casualties were flown in by helicopter" to a medical facility near the Song Tra Brong (page 86). It was the place of taking lives on the battle fields, but also the place of saving lives at the medical facility. Every aspect of the war could be found at this river. Though it doesn't seem to be a major character in the novel, it can definitely be seen as one. It changes with the weather just like a character changes. I'm not quite sure if O'Brien wanted it to be a character, but I see it as one.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Taylor, I didn't realise the multiple uses of the river. Might I add another one? I don't know if its this same river, however when Tim visits 20 years later, the shit field/river is all dried up; the war has moved on from the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what other awesome names they have for everyday things...

    And Emma, your comment deserves a double high-five (be expecting one on Monday). The flow of the war flowed with the river- that's beautifully literary if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete