Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Things are looking up.

Okay so I'm not going to go into too much detail about the setup of the book (that's for another post), but I do want to talk about the concept in general. The novel is set up with a bunch of little short stories, some of which connect. All of them are told from the memory of the author, but they aren't always told from his point of view. I think it's a pretty cool concept. One chapter might be informative. "What they carried varied by mission," page 8 tells us. This is in an informative chapter told from the third person. Another might be a chapter in which O'Brien is telling the story and is even a part of it. The varies pretty consistently, and I like that. It's a concept that I've never really seen before. I'm curious to see how he continues this throughout the entire novel. It seems like a good novel so far. It is informative but not boring. That's difficult to do.

1 comment:

  1. it may be a cool concept, but do you have any ideas as to why the concept works here? why this structure?

    ReplyDelete