Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'll show you a children's story.

"Once Upon a Time" made me laugh out loud. I very rarely like stories that I truly like, but when someone writes a children's story about a child getting shredded in razor wire, I must applaud them. This said, I'm going to answer question two which kind of relates to that. The stylistic devices that create the satirical atmosphere of the story are the sarcastic uses of phrases that are common in children's stories. Many children's stories end with the phrase "and they lived happily ever after." This story had that phrase in its opening line. That shows, from the beginning, that the story is making fun of children's stories. The story is full of examples like this that further illustrate it as a satire. The fact that the child gets shredded by razor wire due to a children's story's inspiration is only the icing on the cake. This story is a perfect example of a satirical piece. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment