Monday, February 28, 2011

Hey Mama.

I really enjoy the character of mama. I am going to argue that she is the protagonist of the play. She is the person that runs all of the activity that happens in the play. Yes, she doesn't always play a big role, but she is kind of like the dad in The Glass Menagerie; she is always there looking over the other characters' shoulders. I think that it is her that causes Bennie to want to look into her roots, and her that causes the move of the family and forces them to stay even when they aren't wanted. She is just awesome.
As I said, I think that mama is also a lot like the dad is our previous play. She doesn't play a huge role in the acting itself, but she does effect the decisions that the characters make. They all strive, in one way or another, to please her. They also want to get the money. That does have a huge impact on their motives. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment