Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Everyone loves a good tongue.

"They will leap onto your face and bore straight into it. Sometimes they attack the eyes first. Sometimes they burrow straight through the cheeks and devour the tongue" (285). This is just nasty. I understand that this shows how inhumane the treatment of the people is. They are made as if they are not human and it causes them to experience great fear. They will then fall completely to the Party and betray anyone that they loved. I understand all of that, but really?! I don't think that the author needed to go into such detail. I honestly want to vomit every time I read that. I hope that some person didn't have a kind of attack while reading that. It's just terrible. Despite that, it is genius. I appreciate the fact that Orwell was willing to put this nasty stuff in the novel. It really gets the point across. I know that I understand how cruel the Party really is when I read this. And it's awesome how comfortable O'Brien is with saying all of that stuff. It's pretty scary how he is used to stuff like that. This society if pretty messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment