Thursday, September 16, 2010

More of Emily.

"I taste a liquor never brewed" is pretty surprising coming from Emily Dickinson. She usually writes these sullen poems about death, but this one is rather happy. It talks about how she feels intoxicated by the beauty of nature. This is an interesting imagery that the reader can easily relate to. Most people have seen some sort of scene in nature that they would consider beautiful. For me, that scene was in Hawaii. One night on the beach, I saw a sunset that was so beautiful, I would consider it intoxicating. I can relate to the feeling that the speaker is talking about, and I'm sure that most people can too. The imagery that Emily uses, "pearls," "butterflies," and "saints," creates an image of the intoxicating beauty that the speaker sees. It creates a wonderful image of nature that the reader is also intoxicated by.

No comments:

Post a Comment