Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What is a Dover Beach?

The beginning of the poem "Dover Beach" had some rather nice imagery in it. The calm sea and moon-blanched land has a very tranquil feel to it. It calms the reader down to where the speaker wants him to be, allowing him to get the full effect of the poem. It also sets a tone of calmness that has that same effect. I reminds me of a time in Sedona when I was sitting on my balcony of my hotel looking out over the area, and I felt a real, true calmness. Thought this poem deals with oceans and not red mountains, it did have that same effect on me.
The rest of the poem after the first stanza have a different effect. It compares faith to that ocean, but it has a negative connotation, because that faith has been lost. The speaker forces the reader to feel calm, then shoots him down by telling him that that calmness is gone. That is cruel yet effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment