Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh the poems.

Well the poem "To Autumn" really confuses me. With poems, I want them to have some secret meaning, but this one doesn't seem to have that. I am going to focus on its imagery though. The fruits such as grapes and apples that it focuses on help bring the season of autumn to life. It also appeals to the sense of touch. The first line mentions the "season of mists," which I imagined on my skin after I read that. One can hear the "wailful choir" of gnats and see the "barred clouds" in the sky. Though the poem isn't that exciting, it is a wonderful example of effective imagery. The author, John Keats, uses this imagery to make his view of the season of fall come to life in the readers mind. The reader remembers and experiences the senses that the writer appeals to. The tone of the poem is a happy one due to the enhanced images of autumn. They bring to mind bright colors, good tastes, and pleasant smells that create that happy tone. The theme of the beauty of autumn is also brought out through the vivid imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment